A new year often brings with it the desire for a new look. You’re not the only one who has considered changing the way your hair looks. Millions of people make the decision to alter their hairstyle each year in the hopes of beginning the year with a fresh look. But it can be difficult to even start when there are so many options available. Would you like a new cut? Considering highlighting or dying your hair? Braids and twists are a nice protective style. Or maybe you are considering a weave or a wig for the first time. Perhaps you have even considered going natural, but are afraid to try that path.
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about choosing the perfect hairstyle for you. Read on for our New Year, New Hair guide!
It’s a new year, which means it’s time for a new hairstyle! But how do you know what style is right for you?
Thinking About Your Lifestyle
When it comes to selecting the right hairstyle, the first thing you should consider is your lifestyle. After all, it’s important to pick a hairstyle that you can easily manage and keep up with. If you’re always on the go, for instance, you’ll probably want to stay away from long, complicated styles. Instead, you may opt for a shorter, fuss-free cut. If you’re not the type of person to style their hair in the morning or keep up with regular salon appointments, this would be the best choice for you. On the other hand, if you have a bit more time to dedicate to styling your hair each day, you can opt for something a bit more intricate. This could include curls or a blunt lob – something that you can take the time to perfect. The same goes for colors. If you want a color that looks great but requires regular upkeep, make sure you make room in your schedule (and your budget) to make this happen! If you have fine, thin hair, like I do now with being an Alopecian — my hair texture remained the same (fine) but it’s now thinner and doesn’t hold many curls — you’ll want to avoid styles that are too heavy or layered. Instead, go for something that will add volume and make your hair look fuller.
Understanding Your Face Shape
Another important factor to think about when selecting a new hairstyle is your face shape. This will help you narrow down the options and find something that looks great on you. For example, if you have a round face shape, shorter haircuts with lots of texture and layers would look great on you. This will help visually elongate the face and create a softer look. If you have a longer or oval-shaped face, a blunt cut or long layers can create a more balanced look. The same goes for colors. If you have a lighter complexion, you may want to go for a warmer hue to brighten up your look. If you have a darker complexion, a cooler hue can really make your features pop. Always be sure to consult your stylist to get their opinion before making a final decision.
Here are some top styles to consider:
- Pixie Cut-If you’re looking for a dramatic change this new year, then look no further than the pixie cut. This style is perfect for shorter hair and works well for most face shapes. I would suggest having a hair stylist that specializes in short hair to cut your hair to achieve the right look and make sure your hair is even and fly. You don’t want to make mistakes like I did as a child like trying to cut my bangs which came out way shorter than I planned and uneven, lol.
- Bob Haircut-The bob is perfect if you’re looking for a style that is low maintenance but still makes a statement. This style works for all hair types and can be styled in multiple ways. Bob hairstyles can be edgy or cute & flirty, depending on how you style. For example, if it’s cut asymmetric and straight, that gives a more edgy and sexy look. However, if you had some loose curls in your bob, that creates more of a cute, flirty and romantic vibe.
- Top knot or Sleek ponytail hairstyle-Fun and flirty. The topknot is back in fashion this year and is a great way to switch up your look. This style can be rock sleek or have a bit of texture, depending on your preference. To get the perfect topknot, start by gathering all your hair onto the top of your head and securing it with an elastic band (use one that is safe and won’t pull on your hair). Use a volume spray or texture/volume powder to add texture before tying your knot, and finish with a hairspray to keep your style in place all day. The topknot is great for all hair types, but it works especially well for shorter styles.
A sleek ponytail is the perfect timeless hairstyle. This style works for any age and all hair types, from straight to curly. To get the perfect ponytail, start by brushing your hair back and securing it with a hair tie. If desired, use a heat protectant spray to keep your hair healthy. Then use a straightening iron and brush to flatten the hair, and use hairspray and bobby pins to secure it in place. The sleek ponytail is a great way to add a bit of glamour to any outfit and will definitely turn heads.
- Straight-Switch it up if you usually rock your hair curly, try straightening your hair safely without the use of a perm and protecting your hair from heat.
- Curly-Don’t have naturally curly hair? That’s okay, you can still achieve curly hair without those harsh chemicals that come in curly perms.
- Weave-If you are a virgin to getting a weave, it can become overwhelming. There are so many hair types and hair stores, how do you choose? You want to get a texture close to your natural texture, especially if you are getting a weave with some of your hair left out to blend in naturally. You don’t want to get cheap hair as it will shed and tangle a lot, and leave your first experience a bad experience. All hair is not treated the same! What does this mean? This means that not all Indian, Brazilian, Malaysian or Remy hair will be just the same. Just like with make-up and clothes, it depends on the brand and hair quality.
Tips for knowing if the hair is good quality:
- The Sniff Test-Giving it a sniff is one of the simplest methods to identify processed hair. The scent of actual unprocessed hair will be minimal and will just be described as “natural.” The weave has likely been treated with something if it smells chemically. If the smell test was a little iffy, you may always conduct a more accurate test by giving it a wash in clean, clear water with neutralizing shampoo. It has undoubtedly been treated in some way if the purportedly virgin hair ends up shedding dyes or other chemicals in the wash. High-quality human hair weave bundles will revert to their natural state after washing, and they will continue to be lustrous and smooth.
- Cuticle Check-Hair that is truly virgin should have cuticles. If not, the cuticles have likely been peeled, typically with an acid treatment. By tracing your finger along the length of the hair, you may check for cuticles. While moving your fingers up the hair shaft, you should encounter some resistance even though the hair should feel smooth going down.
- Hair Perfection Check-Virgin hair should have some imperfections because it is taken directly from the donor’s scalp. If the hair appears “too perfect” then it probably is.
- Brush & Comb Test-Use your fingers to comb through your hair extensions; if the hair feels silky smooth, separates easily, and sheds little to no, the hair is of great quality. But if your fingers become entangled, and you discover that your hands are coated in strands, this indicates that the hair is formed of or contains low-quality hair. This is the same when you are brushing your hair. Take Away: Less Shedding=Higher quality; Lots of Shedding= Lesser quality.
You should have a hairstylist that specializes in weaves. They will be a great resource on helping you select the right type of hair!
- Wigs-This is a fun way to try out different colors and styles before committing. Buying the right quality of wig is the same tips for selecting the right type of hair for weave. What are the benefits of wigs? You can choose to put it on and take it off daily, or you can have it installed safely by using hair glue, specific type of hair gels, or sewn in. This is definitely a fun way to try different colors, lengths, and styles without permanently being attached. For example, occasionally I like bangs, but I know I am not good with bangs long term as eventually it makes me too hot or irritable, but I can get my fix with a wig that has bangs.
Conclusion: Choosing a new hairstyle is an exciting decision that can make a huge difference to your look. That’s why it’s important to take your time and thoughtfully consider all your options. Remember that your lifestyle and face shape are two key components when it comes to selecting a hairstyle that’s perfect for you. Consider them both carefully, and you’ll be sure to find the look that’s perfect for your needs. And with that, we wish you luck on your journey to finding the perfect New Year’s look!
One thought on “New Year, New Hair: A Guide to Choosing the Perfect Hairstyle for you in 2023!”
This is really good. Thanks!